The Innovation: eAnalytics
Student success remains a high priority at colleges and universities in light of public awareness of poor student completion rates and federal programs to increase college graduates. A critical step in student success attainment lies with quick identification and assistance of those who are at-risk of course failure. The Iowa Community College Online Consortium’s (ICCOC) eAnalytics learning analytics and early alert system gives instructors the tools to do just that:
- An instructor dashboard identifies at-risk students, defined as those who have not submitted an assignment in the last 10 days, have not logged into the course for 120 hours, or whose course grade falls below 72 percent.
- The at-risk designation prompts the instructor to initiate a process designed to improve those students’ grades and keep them enrolled.
- A retention module provides support/retention specialists with daily reports on at-risk students’ status and a shared case report tool to coordinate student outreach and tracking.
Results Achieved: ICCOC piloted eAnalytics in three courses. Faculty and staff liked the dashboard’s aggregation of relevant student success data in a simple, easy-to-access format. The early identification of at-risk students translated in higher success for low-income student in the project’s pilot courses:
- 12.3% more low-income students achieved subject level mastery in the College Composition project pilot course than the control group
- 2.75% more low-income students achieved subject mastery in the Math for Liberal Arts pilot course than the control group
In addition, SRI, the project evaluator, reported an 85% developmental/gateway math course completion rate for the project.
Long term Goal: To share ICCOC’s successful learner analytics tools and practices to help other institutions improve their student outcomes.
The Grant Project:
Iowa Community College Online Consortium received a grant from NGLC in April 2011. ICCOC used NGLC funding to accomplish two development efforts in support of the pilot:
- To build the eAnalytics dashboard
- To purchase and integrate the necessary system modules which automate at-risk report generation from the learning management system and upload the information directly into each college’s student information system.
Since the project, ICCOC scaled the at-risk dashboard to all of its online courses in Fall 2012, expanding its use to more than 15,000 students. It continues to develop and deploy new dashboard iterations.
To promote broader adoption, the project team continues to present its findings and activities at national conferences, and works with another NGLC grantee in the use of learning analytics to improve student retention and success.
- Eastern Iowa Community Colleges
- Iowa Lakes Community College
- Iowa Western Community College
- Northwest Iowa Community College
- Southeastern Community College
- Southwestern Community College
- Western Iowa Tech Community College