School: KA High School
Grades Served: 9-12
Location: Antioch, TN
Operator: Knowledge Academies (KA)
Operator Type: Charter
Students at Start: 110
Students at Capacity: 440
Hallmark Feature: Learner ownership
- Knowledge Academies currently runs a middle school, which attained the highest “Most Effective” rating from the Tennessee Department of Education in 2012-13. The charter organization is positioned to transition to more personalized learning environments utilizing blended learning, self-pacing, and mastery based credit.
- The new high school’s academic model will center on 1) the individual student via personalized pathways and learner ownership, and 2) a community of youth and adult learners via blended learning teams (BLTs).
- BLTs, comprised of 5-12 participants, will emphasize building communities and trust, peer observations and feedback, examining student work, and text-based discussions; they will meet at least four hours per week.
- Students, staff, and families will be supported in transitioning to redefined roles of Learner, Learning Mentors, Teacher Facilitator, and Learning Coaches.
- KA’s design principles hold all learners (youth – adult) to the same standards of accountability, using a standardized framework focused on learner ownership.