School: Urban Promise Academy
Grades Served: 6-8
Location: Oakland, CA
Operator: Oakland Unified School District
Operator Type: District
Blended Model Types: Station Rotation, Flipped Classroom and Individual Rotation
Key Features: Competency-Based Learning, Project-Based and Experiential Learning, Community Partnerships, Social-Emotional Development
The Operator: Oakland Unified School District is a public education school district that operates about 100 elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools in Oakland, California. Its mission is to build a Full Service Community District focused on high academic achievement while serving the whole child, eliminating inequity, and providing each child with excellent teachers, every day.
The Academic Model: Urban Promise Academy strives for high academic achievement and growth, social emotional well-being for all school members, and strong community collaboration. The academic model focuses on three high-leverage strategies:
- Social-emotional learning: Daily Crew (advisory) classes help students expand their self-knowledge, growth mindset, and relational skills; Academic curriculum links directly to habits of success and goal-setting.
- Personalized Learning Time: The school’s instructional model helps students be self-sufficient learners. Using the Summit Basecamp model in 6th and 7th grade, students work at their own pace through a series of content skills, teachers pull small groups to provide tailored, timely instruction.
- Project-based learning: Project time is when students focus on creating projects with their peers to master cognitive skills. Many of the key focus areas are reinforced through project work.
The Organizational Model:
- Flexible staffing to support an inclusion model
- Block schedules with mentor time on Wednesdays
- 1-to-1 use of computers
- Family Engagement has always been strong at UPA, but the school is extending this by empowering families to learn how to use technology to support their children.